Keeping rugs clean is very important, not only for aesthetic reason, but also for preventing mold formation and to get rid of bugs and beetles. Dirty rugs are ideal places for bacterias which can affect the air quality and also can trigger allergies and asthma. This is because they accumulate soil, pollen, food particles and other contaminants that affect respiratory related illnesses.
Considering the fact that changing rugs constantly means spending lots of money, the best way to save some dollars and to protect the health of your family is to regularly clean your existing rugs. Different rug cleaning methods are available, but here are few of the most effective rug cleaning tips.
- Vacuuming – Standard rug cleaning normally involves vacuuming once a week, and more than once in high traffic areas. Regular vacuuming prolongs the life of your rug and prevents gritty particles to build up which can damage rug fibers. When vacuuming, take your time, especially if the rug is a push one. Go over every part several times and work slowly in order to remove the dust and dirt completely.
- Spot And Spills Cleaning – Spots and spills can be removed if immediately treated. If they are not cleaned quickly, a lot of effort will be required in order to remove them completely. The spot and spills cleaning process include:
- Before applying any cleaning solution, test the solution on a small hidden part of the rug to ensure the product will not damage or change the colour of your rug;
- Do not rub the spill as it may spread to a larger area;
- Work with a spot cleaner product from the outside of the stain towards inside area to avoid stain spreading;
- Use a white clean towel for drying the rug;
- You can also make your own carpet freshener with ingredients you most likely have in your pantry. For precise instructions, go to the next page.
- Deep Rug Cleaning – With time, vacuuming and spot cleaning can no longer restore the original appearance of your rug. If your rug is tangled, feels like stick, or doesn’t have the same colour, this means that your rug needs a deep-cleaning service. The best way for deep rug cleaning is to clean it with shampooer and to rinse it with high pressure washing machine. If you don’t have the time and assets to do a comprehensive cleaning, it is time to hire professional service.