Pet owners should always give their pets food specially formulated to meet their specific nutritional needs. Dog owners, for instance, need to find the perfect balance of nutrients the dog needs to live a long, healthy life. Read on to find out what proper nutrition really means, and the benefits that come with it.
Nutrients to Look For
Being informed is crucial when you are looking to buy pet supplies. You need to be able to recognize the main nutrients your dog needs. In cases when the dog has some special health considerations, it is best that you look for additional advice from a veterinarian on what your dog needs. Be that as it may, there are six types of nutrients you should look for when you buy pet supplies and these include proteins, carbohydrates, fats, fibre, vitamins and minerals. Here is a more detailed list of the benefits that come from each nutrient.
- Protein – It helps to reinforce your dog’s muscles, bones and skin. It can be found in ingredients like chicken, salmon, soybean meals, barley, corn or eggs.
- Carbohydrates – They provide energy so that the dog can stay active throughout the day. Carbs can be found in barley, corn, rice and sorghum.
- Fats – These are also an energy booster and beneficial for the skin. Fats can be ingested through fish and vegetable oils.
- Fibre – Fibre is important in order to keep your dog’s digestive system operating properly, and you can provide it for your dog by getting a dog food which contains beet pulp, soybean mill run and cellulose.
- Vitamins – These can be found in most of the ingredients listed above, and additionally in eggs or brown rice. If the dog gets the vitamins it needs, his heart, liver and immune system will function better, which ultimately means healthier life.
- Minerals – Similar to vitamins, these too can be found in most of the ingredients mentioned above. Magnesium promotes strong bones and teeth, whereas sodium promotes a healthy heart.
Benefits to Look Forward to
Pet foods that offer perfectly balanced nutrition don’t create themselves. Manufacturers work hard to find and determine the exact formula that goes into their products so that your dog can get everything it needs on a daily basis. Here is a list of the perks your dog will reap if you feed it properly.
- Rich, shiny hair coat;
- No dry skin – meaning no itching or any other irritation;
- Fast and properly working metabolism;
- Normal cell function;
- Protected internal organs;
- Regulated body temperature.